Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Just Write!

A few years ago, writing was almost all I did but then life got in the way and waiting on checks from articles was no longer an option. Writing and submitting daily turned into writing on weekends, then an occasional evening and eventually nothing at all. 

As a reporter for a community newspaper in Houston, Texas, a published author with articles and essays in print and online,  and as a publisher of a growing e-zine that dealt with rape and all forms of abuse, I took pride in my work. There was a special feeling to being able to answer the "What do you do?" question with, "I write." 

I've missed that feeling but every time I would open a page to try, I'd stare at that blank page with my mind in a jumble but it occurs to me my friend Lynda Cox was right when she told me the other day to "Just write." So for the first time in almost 9 years I'm going to do just that. 

Nine years, it doesn't seem possible. Such a short period of time to have gone through so many changes in our lives. Why "nine years?" 

That is when my husband had been seriously injured in a refinery accident and could no longer do the work he loved. Instead of terminating employment, the company decided to retrain him and due to that, we now find ourselves living in a small, Mayberry type of town. In fact, almost every change in our lives over these past nine years is a result of that single July day. 

So taking Lynda's advice to heart, there will be no set subject for my blog other than life in general, and it is a very disorganized life at that. I'm a wife, a mother, a grandmother. I have passed the half-century mark and am living proof you can teach an old dog new tricks. I have rough and smooth collies that I have started showing in conformation (aka the breed ring). That in itself is an entire world of creative fodder. <grin> 

I've also started my own business by making polymer clay beads for dog show leads, jewelry, macrame, and any other item a bead could be added to. I'd never touched polymer clay until another friend, Sarah Garrison, suggested it in a typical 3 AM conversation between two insomniacs. It began with her telling me, "You know, you are crafty. Why don't you try…"  and so Wyld Things was born. 

I hope dear reader you will check back for more "Life in the Wyld" and that you will take the occasional walk on the wyld side.





No comments:

Post a Comment